Home Maintenance Schedule for 2018
Since 2018 has arrived, it’s a good time to consider some maintenance projects to keep your home in excellent shape over the year. Having a home maintenance schedule checklist helps ensure you’re on point to make sure your home operates efficiently and is comfortable all year.
Home Maintenance Made Easy
Creating a simple schedule will make preparing your home for winter effortless. The following guidelines will help you develop your own schedule.
Recommended Home Maintenance Schedule for 2018
- Replace HVAC filters
- Clean filter for Oven Range Hood
- Clean disposal in kitchen sink
- Do a Fire Extinguisher inspection
- Check smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
- Test garage door opener functionality
- Clean out garage
- Analyze water softener salt levels
- Perform grout repair in kitchen and bathrooms
- Wash windows
- Clean out dryer vent and any other exhaust vents
Twice a year…
- Do a deep clean on your home
- Have maintenance performed on your HVAC system
- Flush the hot water heater
- Examine all exterior locks and replace as required
- Clean out gutters
- Vacuum refrigerator coils
Once a year…
- Inspect the roof and siding for any damage
- Repair or replace any damaged window screens
- Replace weather stripping and caulking where required
- Organize basements and closets
- Touch up exterior trim paint
- Patch Driveway and/or sidewalk cracks
Keeping Your Heating Costs Down
It’s time to think about the most effective methods to warm your residence, and the thermostat is an extremely important component of the procedure. The system’s age, just how you maintain it, also where in your house it’s installed could all influence your home heating costs.
The air emanating from your heater is the same temperature despite the weather outside. Raising your thermostat does not affect just how warm the air is, it simply makes your heater run much longer.
If you’re setting your thermostat higher, that will certainly make your system run longer as well as most likely overwork the system while elevating your expenses.
If your thermostat is set to 70 degrees, yet the real temperature level in your house is 62 degrees, that possibly implies there’s a concern with the system and that you ought to have it evaluated.
Specialists advise obtaining a programmable thermostat so you may establish a reduced temperature when you typically aren’t there. It will usually pay for itself within a year.
A few other suggestions for maintaining a cozy residence for much less cash:
- Cover drafty home windows with blankets or plastic
- Use space heating units that comply with safety standards to heat up an area rather than the whole drafty residence
If you do utilize a space heating units, make certain it has the UL tag as well as a tip over shut down feature. Of course, these should never be left operating unattended.
The placement of the thermostat is additionally vital to preventing incorrect readings. The objective is to have the thermostat as centrally located as is feasible, far from direct sunshine, or a kitchen area … those locations where you’re getting some intrinsic temperature level variances.
Lots of households wait to activate their heater till the weather turns, only to find it’s not functioning appropriately. Here are some pointers to guarantee your heating system is operating effectively and continues to do so:
- Make certain the area around your heater is clutter free, especially free of any flammable materials.
- Run your heating system for a short while prior to the onset of cold weather
- Change out or clean the filter regularly
ABOUT EWING HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING
Specializing in Air Conditioning & Heating Repair and Installation
for Wylie, Texas and surrounding areas for over 30 years, we have
made our primary focus the complete satisfaction of every customer.
We’re a company you can trust. Call us today! (972) 693-2343